Friday 11 July 2014

Duck Rescue!

 After a 0730 phone call from a neighbour I found myself rescuing a female Tufted Duck and her brood of five. I went armed with a bucket for the ducklings and remarkably the female let me pick her up.
 Never one to miss out on a ringing opportunity the adult was quickly processed.
 Hey mum we want some Bling!
Then it was down to the reservoir and off on some more adventures. I am sure there is just a hint of a Thank you from Mrs. Tufty! 
It was a surprise when 15 minutes later I found myself rescuing another brood of Tufted duck from Dave Wrights front garden, this time without a female. Again all were safely moved to the reservoir.
Ducklings on hatching are able to find their own food , but follow their parents. This is classified as Precocial 2. The word precocial comes from the same Latin root as 'precocious'. This is not the first time that I have helped ducklings reach the safety of the reservoir, but it does illustrate that help is sometimes required. Once on the water all is well.

2 comments:

  1. Hats off to you Mr Smith and well done lets hope you get a control in a few years time??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Col. It has been a good year for Tufty on the res with several broods.

      Delete