Wednesday 3 April 2013

Kittiwake

 As I walked along the dam an adult summer Kittiwake flew above me and then wheeled out on to the reservoir. It then landed with a small group of Black headed gulls.
 I managed to get a good view of the bird as it sat on the water. It had a clean white head and a yellow bill. On first seeing the bird I had noted the black wing tips, and lack of mirrors, thus excluding Common gull.
The bird suddenly took off and I was only able to get some distant shots as it flew off to the North East.
 The above shot does show the black wing tips.
 The bird flew off with some Black headed gulls in their normal direction, perhaps towards Swithland and therefore may be worth looking for tomorrow.
March/April is a peak time for this species to pass through Leicestershire. I think I have only had Kittiwake once before at Thornton.
Other news is that a White Wagtail is frequenting the fields above Stoney Bank( east side of the res)
There are up to 12 Pied Wags and 20 Meadow Pipits in this area and I am certain that a Yellow Wag will  join them soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment